Buongiorno, Milano! (Trip to Milan)

Milan, Italy
21-23 of July 2018


This is summer. To be honest, I don’t like summer. Too warm, too hot! I need cooler weather! That’s better.
However, because I am now in Europe, and it is summer, so why not to go somewhere and feel the atmosphere of “Summer Break”.
So, I take one week off from my work. There isn’t a particular reason why I do want to do that, just want to use 5 days left of my 30 days holiday from work. And I was thinking about doing something (to finish my writing project in my blog) and going somewhere. So, I already asked for having one week off to my work since March this year. And from that, I also booked a trip right away.
I was surfing to an airlines apps to find a cheap flight. And there was one which was affordable. It was from Berlin to Milan and it was only 48€ for going and back. Hmm, I would say it is cheap enough even there is another price or flight which cheaper than this, but I consider, yeah it doesn’t matter, the thing is I can have cheap flight to do traveling to other countries outside Germany.
And on July 21st to 23rd, I went to Milan, Italy!

I was supposed to go to Rome or Florence or Venezia, but Milan is also one of my list-to-go since long time ago.
Okay, let me tell you one story. Because I am a movie junkie, and there is one movie that tells about fashion and its world, it is “The Devil Wears Prada”. So, since I watch that movie, I was thinking of going to a capital of fashion, and people said it’s Milan. Even, Paris, London, and New York are also a part of fashion center of the world, but I’ve been to Paris, London and New York, maybe someday.

So, where did I go in Milan?
First of all, I safely landed in Orio Al Serio International Airport or Milan Bergamo Airport by 8.30 PM. It was delayed cause of some problem that occurred from the airplane when we were still in Berlin.
Then, I waited for my friend who had been my company during my trip in Milan, which was our plan since April indeed. She is Ching Ya, from Taiwan, the one who also accompanied me in Frankfurt and with all the stories (click this link if youhaven’t yet read it).

So, by 9 PM, we met and about to leave the airport and going to the city center and find our hostel.
The first thing that I’ve impressed for Milan, was MILAN IS CHEAP! Because when I bought a bus/shuttle ticket to go to the center, it was only 5€. Compared to Paris, don’t ask me. Cause when I flew from Berlin to Paris and landed in Charles-de-Gaulle International Airport, and I needed to use a bus (Roissy Bus) to go to the center, and I should pay 12€, which is twice than Milan.
Afterwards, me and Ching Ya were going to the city center. And I just realize that Bergamo is not Milan, so it took an hour to get there. Hmm, it’s similar with Jakarta which Jakarta only has one small airport and it is in the center of Jakarta, and the bigger and central one, is Soekarno-Hatta International Airport and it’s not in Jakarta, it is in Cengkareng, Banten, and you need to drive for  1.5 hours from the center (if you’re not stuck on the traffic jam). And or in Seoul, South Korea, they have big airport in Incheon, and that is not a part of Seoul, it is another city. Something like that.
Anyway, when we got the center, it was in Milano Stazione Centrale or Milan Central Station. By there, we got late dinner in McDonalds. And after that, we were going to our hostel which was different but in the same area.

When I found my hostel, you know what was I thinking of the hostel? It was a nightmare! I won’t tell you the name of the hostel, in the name of respect and honor. But, what I want to try to tell you, my hostel was super duper far from any train stations (underground metro). Well, there are some bus stops, but for me, because I just only understand the system of underground train, I only rely on train, not bus or tram, cause it’s easier and I didn’t want to take any risks, because I can’t speak the languages as well.
Second of all, my hostel was like in the middle of jungle; dark, humid, dirty, and narrow. I didn’t blame them because they are super cheap one. I only paid 23€ for 2 nights, which actually supposed to be cheaper but that is average price in Italy, I think.
In the female room, there were 12 people in the room, and it was super duper hot, I couldn’t even breathe. With the summer weather, Italy is completely hot! The bunk bed was also awful. In the first night, I got the upper bed. The bad thing was THE BED HASN’T A BARRIER! I could even falling down if I wasn’t being careful. And you can tell, I couldn’t sleep that good in the first, so I change my bed. I moved down to the lower level. Luckily, there wasn’t a person who slept in the upper bed. So, in the second night I was safe.

In the next day, on July 22nd, it was a time for me to explore the city. Not only with Ching Ya, but there was also one guy who joined us. His name is Ahmed, and he is from Canada. What a funny was, a day before I flew to Milan, I was posted new episode of my short story series in my blog, “Double Yu”. In the new episode, fourth episode, I put a tittle on it with “Waktunya Kanada” (means “It is time for Canada”). That’s funny cause a day after I posted it, I met a guy from Canada! That was absolutely funny! Hahahaha.
So, three of us walked around the city together, having conversation, and sharing stories as well.
The first destination that we visited was Duomo di Milano (Milan Cathedral). We took pictures there, and give compliments for the cathedral. We found that we were so impressed by the building. Every detail of the cathedral is amazing. We really appreciate to those who already built that incredible and historic cathedral.
Then, we went also to Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is Italy’s oldest active shopping mall and a major landmark of Milan, Italy. The architecture, is crazy, amazing, and incredible! I loved it!
We also visited a mall that closed to that shopping mall, named “Rinascente” that located in Piazza Duomo. We walked around the mall which has 8 levels. Well, we didn’t buy anything from the international brand, but we only bought soaps that originally made in Italy. I also only bought a 4€ striped towel, just for a memory from Milan.
There is one story I could still remember until now. When we were going to Rinascente, Ahmed was randomly asking something about Milan to a guy who works in there. He was asking about how people in Milan live. And I was shocked about the guy's respond. He said that Italian (in Milan) actually act something stupid. No offense, but based on this guy's story, that people in Milan are crazy to do shopping. They are working, and earn money, but the money will be gone in second cause they will buy fancy clothes, bags, cosmetics, everything and they become poor. I didn't say this, but that guy (I don't know his name) told us so. How shocked I was because I never taught it would happen in Milan, or in Italy in general. But it makes sense. I think because Milan is a center of world fashion, then people consider to appreciate the 'haut couture' by buying them every single time the new collection come out. In Milan, people are also very crowded, people are very busy, sentimental, and full of emotions. For that, I think it's typical as a city, just like Jakarta, Indonesia.

Afterwards, we were going to a restaurant to have lunch. Of course, we only wanted to eat something that very Italian. Then, we ordered Pizza! Ahmed ordered olive and mushroom pizza, Ching Ya had shrimp and tomato pizza, and me, I ordered my favorite pizza that has tuna as a topping called “Regina Pizza”. I felt so excited about that because that was a very first time for me to have a pizza in Italy! I enjoyed every chew that I bite from the pizza, and it was totally amazing!

After had lunch, Ahmed and Ching Ya decided to come back to the hostel because they were too tired because they just got back to the hostel from a party by 5 o’clock in the morning, so they needed a nap for a while. Then, I let them to do that, while I was looking for a mosque to do a pray.

But what an annoying moment was, two mosques that I head to, were closed! I already walked over 2km for that and that was totally useless. Then, I just decided to walk around the city. I went to Arco della Pace, Castello Sforzesco, and Parco Sempione which is in one same area. I tried to enjoy every steps that I use in the park, even I was dying cause of tiredness and the 28 degrees weather was killing me. But I should keep walking and enjoy every moment of it.

Afterwards, I went to San Babila Square (Piazza San Babila) to see how spectacular the international fashion brand boutique are. Yes, back to topics about fashion, and about “The Devil Wears Prada”. Through that movie, I knew some international brands like Prada, Jimmy Choo, Valentino, Banana Republic, Oscar de La Renta, Chanel, Salvatore Ferragamo, Manolo Blahnik, Calvin Klein, and my favorite one is Dolce&Gabbana.
So, in Piazza San Babila, there’s one street which is full of those tremendous brands, such as Dolce&Gabbana, Salvatore Ferragamo, Roberto Cavalli, Bottega Veneta, Prada, Versace, Valentino, Giorgio Armani, Alexander McQueen, Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Dior, and many more.
Even though I didn’t buy anything there (come on, where does money come from?!), but at least I’ve seen those luxurious places, that made me so happy. I can proof what I’ve seen on the movies, any commercials, that they are all exist, and moreover I saw it in the motherland of fashion, which is more excitement right there. And there is one thing you should know, seeing them in Milan is totally different than see them in another city in another country. Like in my country, Indonesia, I’ve seen them in several prestigious shopping mall in Jakarta, like Grand Indonesia, Plaza Indonesia, or Senayan City Shopping Mall. But the sense of seeing those extravagant fashion brands is not as same as in Milan. Trust me, you would never regret when you see it in Milan. No need to buy one of them, well if you wish if it’s up to you, just feel it, and it’s absolutely different!

After visiting San Babila Square, I decided to just go back to my hostel. I was so exhausted from all journey of that day. Perhaps I’ve walked over 4 km in a day, even more! So, to have dinner that close to my hostel and sleep earlier were all I needed, plus I should wake up earlier because my flight was in the midday and I should be at the airport at least by 10 o’clock in the morning.
The dinner that I had in Milan was not really Italian, cause I ate Kebab and French fries. Hahahaha. I haven’t tasted the pasta and tiramisu in Milan, but I couldn’t find any restaurants who serve pasta, so why not to eat Kebab. No, actually I just wanted to save my money. So, I should eat no more than 10€. Hahaha.

By the way, I want to share my experience about the language.
Yeah, Italian speaks Italian. And I knew that Italian is pretty similar with French, the language that had been my major when I was in college. So, I would say that traveling to Italy is very fit for me who has language skill in speaking French. Italian is also similar to Spanish, so I think Italian is mixed by French and Spanish, in my opinion. Because they are basically from one same primary language, Latin. For example, when you say “Thank you”, in Italian is “Grazie”, which is in Spanish is “Gracias”. But when you want to say “Thank you so much”, gonna be “Grazie mille” in Italian, which is in French is “Mille merci” (mille = thousand). Or if you want to say “cheese” (French = fromage – Italian = fromaggio), or “milk” (French = lait – Italian = latte). Anyway, however I understand French, while I was in Milan, the situation kept me putting myself in the section of “Lost in Translation”. I can’t do anything but guessing. When I entered to a supermarket, and bought something that I needed, I was wondering what the translation in English, while I was trying to guess it first in relating to French, but still, I lost in translation.
However, there was one moment when I could speak in Italian pretty well. Not fluent, just speak it little bit, So, when I head to the airport by the shuttle, I was wanting to ask to a guy who was the staff of the shuttle, and here is the conversation between me and that person :
            Me                   : “Scusi..
            Shuttle Guy     : “Si
            Me                   : “Diretto Bergamo?
            Shuttle             : “Si si!
            Me                   : “Si. Grazie mille
            [Translation
                        Me       : “Excuse me…”
                        Guy     : “Yes”
                        Me       : “Direction to Bergamo”
                        Guy     : “Yes, yes!”
                        Me       : “Yes. Thank you so much”]

Somehow, that was a best moment in Milan I’ve ever experienced. There is nothing I could be proud of something than speaking Italian like that. It is actually because of one book that I borrowed from my new host family, it was a mini-dictionary that she lend me because their daughter also just got back from Summer Camp in Italy. I learned a bit when in the airplane from Berlin to Milan on July 21st. I did it because of nothing, because of being cool, nope! I did it just because I wanted to try to speak Italian in order to respect to Italian because I was in Milan, in Italy. So, why not, right? Not because we are tourist then we are too lazy to not try to speak the language. My advice is just try to speak the language little bit. Do not to be worried to make mistake, we are not the people, at least we try, and somehow the local people will understand and appreciate us.

Actually, there was also something happened when I was in Milan, while I was on my way back to the hostel on Sunday July 22nd. I lost my wallet that it contented personal medicines, cosmetics, earphone, and my second smartphone (for listening music and waker). I was shocked little bit by the moment that my backpack just widely opened in the underground train. Actually I got a sign when that wallet was falling down in the previous train and caught up by a woman. Then I checked all my stuffs and they were still there. But several minutes later, I didn’t pay any attention to my back pack and somehow it’s gone. I don’t know it was stolen by someone, or just fell down and I didn’t get a chance to catch it back. But, yeah, at least, my passport, wallet for money and important cards, and other valuable stuffs were still there. So, I took a lesson from that moment, that I should put my back pack into my chest (hold it in front), so I could keep watching them whether it is opened or something. And I hope all of you who read this article, also learn from my experience, that you should keep watching your belongings everywhere you go, traveling or not, going for work, anywhere, be careful with your stuffs.

In the last day of my trip, on July 23rd, I woke up at 6 AM. Then, I got ready, packed up my stuffs and head to the airport. But, because my shuttle that drove me to the airport departed at 9.20, and I was already in the Milan Central Station at 8 AM, so I still had about an hour. Then, I just decided to walk around the area. And I found that in the area of Milano Stazione Centrale is also amazing! With all skyscraper, which has been my favorite since I was kid, and all the atmosphere is so city! I loved it! Then, I was walking through some streets like Via Vittori Pisani, Via Luigi GalvaniVia Fabio Flizi, and also Repubblica Square. And then by 9.15 I reached the shuttle center and brought me to the Milano Bergamo Airport to head to Berlin Schönefeld Airport.

I realize that I didn’t visited so much places in Milan, but the thing is that I could still enjoy every second of Milan trip, and that is important. Because when you go traveling and you don’t feel comfortable with anything that matters, you never enjoyed the trip indeed. For me, the most important part is, even you walked over 5 km, got sunburn, sweating everywhere, but when you feel that you are enjoying all the moment, and that is a real traveling, real journey. And for me also, if I want to get those kind of experience, I don’t need to fly far away from where I live, just take two or three hours to go somewhere in the city by train or bus, and feel the moment with yourself. Yes, traveling alone is not that bad. Sometimes, you need a time for yourself. Feel it, enjoy it. Later after you finished from that ‘meditation’, you will come back to chill and hang out with bunch of friends, call your parents, and meet your colleague in the workplace.

I am not saying that you should traveling alone forever. Big no! But it is also about preference. I could do traveling with friends and family. However, somehow, I would rather to do that all by myself. Because having a trip is the best moment to spoil myself, take care of myself, getting know myself more than before, and I can do whatever I wish, go as far as I wish without any compromise and complains. Because when you do solo traveling, you are the best person who knows everything that you wish for, the only person who knows the best for your decisions.
I hope you all read this article also had good time in the summer. Don’t complain the hot temperature, I am still trying to make of peace of myself about the temperature. Anyway, I wish you all had good time, holiday, and got the vibes of summer.

Do you want to help me get another place to go for my next trip? Put your ideas in the comment box!

Ahmed, Ching Ya, and Me


Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II

Every time I cross this boutique, the song from Bruno Mars "Versace On The Floor", keep playing in my head.

Piazza San Babila
Sforzesco Castle
Arco della Pace
outside Metro (underground)
inside Metro
Milano Stazione Centrale

Buongiorno, Milano!


My very first pizza in Italy!










Ciao Ciao!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kumpulan Cerita Bersambung : DOUBLE YU - SEASON 1 (karya Yulia Sutjahjono)

"Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan)" Part 2

Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan) Part 1