We (Really) Can Learn Something From The Movies We Watch - Film Comparison

Disclaimer: This article actually an essay that I wrote in the purpose of submitting Master Degree application to Northwestern University as my plan in the end of 2018. However, I failed. Not about Northwestern actually, but the Scholarship I was applying for; AMINEF (Indonesian-USA Fellowship Program for Community College), therefore I just felt that to go to USA moreover to continue yet fulfilling my dream to study there (in that moment) was not really a perfect timing, because what I was thinking was; I have failed to get Community College Scholarship in the US and why I was so rush? I should probably study harder and prepare more to get my Master Degree, even it's Northwestern University not NYU as my very every first dream to go to hahaha. Anyway, there will be always a way for me to go there, but not now. In the first place I also did not want to share this article. Imagine, I have been putting all of my efforts to carry out some research, got sleep deprived, etc etc, then what for I would share this to all people while this article should be one of the required portfolio to Northwestern University. Ever since then, I changed some plans and postpone my intention to apply Master Degree and I guess I am all fine to share this to you guys now. I mean, why not, right? Well, I can make another essay though, don't worry, still have time to catch the dream haha. Moreover, it's always be great to share something good, isn't it? So, here it is! 

FYI, before you reading my ex-future-essay (hahaha), the requirement regarding this essay should be my point of view about films that have impact to my life or simplify with the way I criticize an issue. This essay is actually a comparison between 2 movies which at least from 20 years apart. Ah ya, I almost forgot to tell that the program I was about to apply is MFA in Writing for Stage and Screen. So, yeah, you can tell why I was making this hehehe. I was very struggling to find the idea about it back then. Until came up an idea about these 2 incredible movies. Okay, you should really now reading hahaha. Enjoy reading guys! I hope you like it!





Home Alone (USA, 1990) and 
El Día Que Resistía (Argentina, 2018)

(Courtesy IMDb)

These two movies refer to three different things; let kids play with their world, trust them with all their fearlessness, and being alone is not good but also not that bad.

The similarities between them are about: children, being alone at home, making imaginary world, and having courage.

Home Alone (1990) starred by Macaulay Culkin, always be my most favorite children movie. First time I watched it when I was around 7 years-old in the television. In my country, Indonesia, it’s typical in the holiday season or Christmas, movies with an atmosphere about Christmas such as Home Alone is televised in the TV station. So, I’ve watched it pretty often. Even when I had Netflix while I was still in Germany, I watched it all over again. Because this movie always be memorable for any kids in my generation, included me. Home Alone also represented a braveness of the children when they are alone. This movie also assures parents to trust their kids to be independent when the parents are not being with them.


In the other hands, that is opposite with what I have seen in El Día Que Resistía (2018). Directed by Alessia Chiesa, El Día Que Resistía tells about three siblings that live alone in the solitary house, remotely away from anywhere. I watched this film in the Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) in 2018. I did not guess anything but probably the parents of those three children were going for work, etc. However, gradually the siblings are keep being alone until months. So, in the perspective of civil society, the questions are; where are the parents? How come these children are under surveillance from their parents or any adults? How could people let the innocent kids in the middle of nowhere without anything? By the way, in the film, it was pictured that the food stock was only for first three weeks, and the rest, the siblings should eat something from the nature, such as grass from the backyard, etc.


After watching it, I started to more realize that being a parent is not easy. I am aware that being parents is always surrounded by happiness and to see they are growing up is also exciting. However, what I want to try to explain is, if I were being a parent of the siblings in the movie of El Día Que Resistía for instance, that means I am out of my responsibility. I would be so regret about that for my entire life. 

Therefore, something wakes me up; am I ready to be a mother in the future? Am I ready to be a parent to raise my children until they grow up well? If so, I should look after my kids 24/7 for the rest of my life. Whatever it takes, being parent is a lifetime job and you can’t complain about. Though I am willing to have kids on my own in the future, but based on those 2 movies, I started to remind myself that having children is not only because I can show people how happy I am being a mom, or how cute my kids are, or even to compare to my friends or acquaintances' children which one is smarter, which one is cuter, etc. No, that's not it! I learned from Home Alone moreover from El Día Que Resistía that having children should be in the moment when I am really really ready for it, mentally, financially, and any other aspects. Because, again, parenting is a lifetime job, endless profession without grumbling, without complaint. I don't want to 'torture' my children with my egotistical desire just because I want to have kids but don't want to raise them with good values, full of love, as well as compassion.

We can really learn something from the movies we have watched. Implicitly or explicitly, there will be always good lesson to be learned. Any scenes in the movie should be from something we have seen or experienced in the daily basic. Whatever its genre, whatever its plot, movies always be entertaining yet inspirational. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kumpulan Cerita Bersambung : DOUBLE YU - SEASON 1 (karya Yulia Sutjahjono)

"Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan)" Part 2

Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan) Part 1