A Story from Poland


Poland. Who doesn’t know this country? Indonesian people may know this country because our flag is pretty similar. Both have red and white in the flag. Indonesia’s flag is red in the top and white in the bottom, while Poland’s is the opposite.
As an Indonesian diaspora who had been stayed in the Schengen Area, I was always having a huge desire to explore many countries which become the member of Schengen Visa Area. During my stay in Germany (August 2017-August 2018), I had an intention to go out of the Germany’s border. In the beginning, I was doubt to traveling to another country out of Germany, still worried. I was afraid if something would happen during my vacation in the overseas (of Germany), or something like that. The thing is, I was too much thinking and didn’t act immediately.
One day, in the end of December, I had two weeks off from my project place. In the beginning I didn’t know where to go to spend my weeks off. But luckily, there was a friend from Indonesia who stayed in Poland. So, why not to go there? Beside one of my friend who was staying there, Poland was also one of my wish-list-to-go in Europe. However, there was one main reason why I should really going to Poland. It’s because I love to watch some Polish movies. Maybe, one of you already knew this, that my favorite Polish movie is “Ida”, the movie tells about a nun who stays in the convent and before she takes the vows, she should find her family member, and the only family member that she has left is her aunt. Well, you can searching more about this movie. But I really recommend you to watch that because that movie is sooooo genius and shows me a lot of life value. Moreover, this movie won Academy Awards for “Best Foreign Language Movie” in 2015. See? You must know why I recommend this.
Anyway, I let Seto (the name of my friend which I mentioned before) know about my plan to go to Poland. So, from 26th to 30th of December 2017, with the full of braveness, I went to Poland from Berlin, Germany. I took a bus from Berlin Schönefelde to Wroclaw Bus Station on December 26th 2017 in the afternoon.
Polski Bus

Then, I safely arrived in Wroclaw, precisely in Wrocław Dworzec Autobusowy around 5 pm. But as you may know that in winter, the sun sets earlier than in another season. So, 5 PM is already dark. And Wroclaw was being my first city to explore ever in Poland. Really excited! Because I couldn’t imagine that I could ever went out the border of Germany and Poland was being the first destination. When I arrived, I didn’t walk around that much because it was one day after Christmas and many shop or public places were closed. So, me and Seto were just having dinner in KFC and walking a bit to the Old Town (Rynek).
Wroclaw, Poland
Rynek in the afternoon


Rynek by night
But in the next day (December 27th 2017), we both went to several touristic places such as Museum of Architecture, Salt Market Square, Hala Targowa, Sky Tower, and also Odra River.
On December 28th 2017, in the very early morning, me and Seto should woke up very early because we were going to the next destination, Poznan,  and the bus drove away at 4.45 AM! So we got ready at 3 AM and catch the bus as fast as possible. Even though I was still tired and our sleep time was deprived, but I was super excited to go to the next destination. For me, carrying a big bag pack, still sleepy, hungry, and freezing, were the most challenging barrier I’ve ever had. Wanna know how did it feel? Just do it as I mentioned above. Traveling in Europe in the winter is so much indescribable!
Salt Market Square
Odra River




Museum of Architecture, Wroclaw



the view of Salt Square Market

the view of Wroclaw from Sky Tower



So, our bus departed from Wroclaw by 4.45 AM and around 10 AM we arrived in Poznan. Still sleepy of course, but it didn’t stop us to explore the city. So, we went to several places like Liberty Square Fountain, Bamberka Fountain, Poznan Town Hall, Old Market Square. Even in Poznan in that time was rainy and cloudy, plus snowy in the evening, I was pretty satisfied to put Poznan into my travel experience destination list.
Poznan, Poland

inside the tram in Poznan
Bamberka Fountain

Poznan Town Hall
However, there was one unforgettable moment in Liberty Square Fountain. This place is kind of Public Park which has water fountain, glass monument, benches, and yeah just like a simple park. But the thing was, before going to Poznan, I searched first about the recommended destinations in Poznan. One of the most visited is Liberty Square Fountain. I saw also in the Instagram about this place. What I saw was a big glass monument. So, I was expecting to see a very incredibly monument ever in Poznan. But the reality was not like the expectation. The glass monument is much smaller that I saw or expected. Damn!
Liberty Square Fountain
In Poznan, me and Seto didn’t book an accommodation because we intended to just visiting Poznan in one full day. But I think I was wrong, I was super-duper exhausted cause it was freezing around and I really needed to sleep more. Hahahaha. And what an unfortunate was, Seto already booked the bus ticket for the next destination at 1 AM in the following day. We didn’t have many choices but waited for the bus until in the midnight while we were already tired in exploring Poznan by walking to several places. Then, at 8 PM, we decided to wait the bus in the Poznan Central Station until the bus will leave.
So, in the next day, on December 29th 2017, we safely arrived in Gdansk. Who doesn’t know this city? I think so many people know this city after the capital city, Warsaw, and many international tourist would come and visit this city when they have a plan to go to Poland. All I can remember about Gdansk is that when UEFA EURO CUP 2012 was held in Poland-Ukraine, and one of city that used to play the match is Gdansk. Moreover, Gdansk was also the basecamp from my favorite national team, Germany! Hahahaha.
Gdansk, Poland (Seaside)
Gdanzk Central Station

In Gdansk, I visited to so many engaging places, such as, Old Town, Dlugi Targ Street, Swan Tower, Rybackie Pobrzeze, Jelitkowo, and Stadion Energa. To be honest, I was more satisfied because in Gdansk I felt that the touristic places are more touristic rather than other cities that I’ve visited in Poland. But what I hate the most of Gdansk, is the wind that blows sooooo hard. Yeah, maybe because Gdansk is closed to Baltic Sea, so the wind blows harder than the other cities.

Jelitkowo Beach, Gdansk





Gdansk Old Town



Motlawa River by night


I love Gdansk!

Not only those three cities, on December 30th 2017, me and Seto were also going to a city that very closed to Gdansk, that is Sopot. We didn’t plan it before but Seto was thinking that visiting this city was also interesting. So, we went there by train and it took only 2 hours from Gdansk. This city is also beautiful. Even it’s smaller than another city, but it has also a lot of interesting places to see. I found a unique house named “The Crooked House” or in Polish is “Krzywy Domek”. I had no idea what the place is for, but all I could see from outside that the place is more like a shopping mall and café. But I think if you visit Sopot, it is too pity if you pass the moment to see this building. It is very one-of-a-kind! We went also to Pier in Sopot. It’s a dock and there’s also beach there. Based on Google, Port of Pier in Sopot is the longest wood dock in Europe (650m).
Sopot, Poland
Sorry, Madame, accidentally captured thee :D
Swiateczna Choinka Sopocka

Krzywy Domek



Pier in Sopot




Indonesian flag in Poland

respect Poland :)

About the expenses, I didn’t spend that much money for this trip. However, it depends on the country you go, moreover and depends on the person who is doing the trip. Based on my experience traveling to Poland for 5 days 4 nights, I just spent around 680zloty or around 170€. I guess this is quiet cheap, but I think it could be cheaper than this. But it’s okay. For the accommodation, I used hostel and Couchsurfing in order to get the cheaper price. Especially for Couchsurfing, you don’t need to pay at all. Cause basically with Couchsurfing, you stay a night in somebody’s house or apartment, so it’s more like sharing room with the local people. You can get free accommodation and you can get the new experience about the culture from the local as well.
For Hostel, it’s also cheap because hostel define a shared room with other travelers in the same big room. There are mix bedroom and female bedroom. But I prefer to book female room because I’ll have more privacy than in the mixed-bedroom. Speaking about hostel, I rent female room in a hostel called “Wigwam Hostel” when I was visiting Wroclaw. Honestly, it was my very first time staying in the place called hostel. Hehehe. Because for whole my life, if I have a vacation, especially with my family, we always rent family room in a hotel. And if I go traveling by myself in Indonesia, I call a friend or relative who lives in that city and ask them whether I could stay few days in their place or not. So, when I was staying in Wigwam Hostel, there was a lot of new experience that I got. For example, meeting new people from another country. I still remember, when I cooked in the hostel’s kitchen, I met a guy from Ukraine. He is student in Poland, in Wroclaw for sure. But I forgot which university or major he studies in. All I can remember that he looks like an actor who already passed away, Anton Yelcin. Anyway, we were just talking each other about many stuffs, such as he asked me about the living situation in Indonesia, or about the language. He also asked what I studied in the university. When I said, “French Studies”, he directly said something in French that actually romantic words. If I am not mistaken he was saying “Ne me quitte pas” which means “Don’t leave me”.
the hall in Wigwam Hostel

Wigwam Hostel's kitchen

The food ingredients that we cooked at the hostel's kitchen, we bought from here, Biedronka.
One of dashing supermarket in Poland :D 

For Couchsurfing, it was also my very first time doing a thing like that. So, when I was in Gdansk, a Polish guys was being our host. Based on Seto’s experience using Couchsurfing, when we have a host for our stay, all we need to do is cook for them, moreover a cook from our country. So, the simple one, he usually cooks Nasi Goreng (fried rice) or Mie Goreng (fried noodle). Then, I cooked the host Mie Goreng but unfortunately I failed to make it nailed! The taste wasn’t that good. Hahaha. Not just cooking, we also talked about many stuffs, such as the Second World War that occurred in Poland. The host (I don’t really remember his name) said, that it was very scary moment for Polish people. Of course, I could imagine how terrifying it was. With all bombs, holocaust, etc, Polish people must have something traumatic about the Second World War. Personally, before I met this guy and before going to Poland, I didn’t have so much intention to know more about the war. When I was in high school, I was in the Social Class, so I learned History, include the Second War World. But I didn’t like so much when my teacher was giving the lesson about the Second War World, because for me reading the history about the war or even just watching a war movies, it’s so boring for me. But I am wrong, since the Polish guy told me about the war, I kind of regret. Thus, I intended to learn more and brows more about the Second World War. I also told to the host that I really like a Polish movie called “Ida”. I told in detail why this movie moves me so much. Really deep and full of meaning.
Anyway, we leave the topic about the war, how about we talk about the food? Yeeaayy! During my trip in Poland, I didn’t try so many Polish dishes. But, I ate one incredible food ever! Its name is Pierogi. Pierogi is more like dumpling that filled with various topping, such as beef, duck, chicken, pork, even vegetables and fruits. But what I like most is the topping with duck and mixed with apple (if I am not mistaken). I also forgot what the Polish name with that one. The thing is, I really love it! I ate one more portion afterwards! Cause it was really really addictive. Hahahaha. 
Pierogi







Another choice that you can try when you’re traveling to Poland is, eating in the fast food restaurant or eating in Buffet. Speaking of Buffet, there are a lot of buffet restaurants in Poland, especially in the shopping mall. So, it’s very easy to find one if you are going to the city center in each city in Poland. But I noticed something different with the system of Buffet in Germany and Poland. In Germany, as much as you take from the buffet, the price is depending on the plate you’d take. So it would be different with the small plate and the bigger one. Sometimes, a German buffet restaurant put the price based on the dish that we take from the buffet. If you’d take chicken, that would be more expensive, but if you’d only take the veggies, than it’s cheaper. Average price of eating buffet in Germany is 5€ to 8€. But in Poland, two times I ate in buffet restaurant, the price of the food just depends on how much grams we take from the buffet. I don’t really remember how much grams I did take but the average price in eating buffet in Poland is around 15-30 zloty or 3-7€, so I guess it’s much cheaper than Germany. But the beverage isn’t include yet. So it must cost more than that for one whole meal in the buffet.
For merchandise, there are so many souvenir shops in Poland in every corner of the touristic places. There must be one or even more shops which stand there. And I think the price is also cheaper than Germany. For example, I bought some post cards. In Germany, one piece of postcard costs 50 cent to 1€. But in Poland, the average price is 1-3 zlotty or only 0.50€ even could be less. So, it’s cheap, isn’t it? There are also other souvenirs that you can buy beside postcard, for example the magnets, cups, wall decoration, many more. It depends on what we want to buy. For me, it’s so important when the souvenir is light and cheaper. Hehehe.
Well, I would like tell you a (little bit) funny story. So, when I was in Gdansk, I tried to find a stadium that being used in the UEFA Euro Cup in 2012, named “Energa Stadium”. I knew this is very ridiculous to just catch and find the stadium. But all I can defend is because this is the good chance for me to, at least, find one stadium that formerly used in the big event like Euro Cup. So, who doesn’t want to, right? So, me and Seto were going there. We firstly looked up in the Google Maps. Then we arrived the tram station nearby the stadium. Well, I expected that I would see the very beautiful and full-of-light of the Energa Stadium. Just like in the Google Images that I surfed few hours in the first instance. But wanna know what I found there? I hope it would be “WOW”, but the opposite thing occurred, “ZONK”. The stadium didn’t even visible! It was very dark, no lights at all! Just some lights from the street. Hmmm, reality always hits the expectation. Damn! Hahaha. But that’s fine. At least, I already knew and see with my own eyes how big the stadium is, even I only saw it in the distance. Well, God knows that I was trying. Hahahaha.

Expectation (image from Google)
Reality

Well, that’s all I want to share about my trip in Poland last year. All I love about traveling is not just can take many pictures that good to be posted in Instagram or seeing the touristic places, something more. I really can see myself when I am one the way to the destination, I learn more about myself for sure. And also, how can I solve the problem if I had any problem when I am traveling. To sum up, for me, traveling or doing a trip is the best moment to know more about myself, best moment to learn about new place/people/culture, best moment to taste the local food (yihaaaaa), best moment to run away from any real problems in our real life, and also best moment to know how strong we could face the barrier that we never found in the workplace or at home.




Museum of Architecture from outside


a park nearby Museum of Architecture, Wroclaw
You are authentically going to a place when you have a picture in front of somewhere with the local language hahaha :P




Dziękuję bardzo, Seto!

From my Poland trip, I also found myself more enthusiast to the following trip, especially in another country. It’s like “Owww, I can’t wait for my next trip! What’s next then?” Because it could be very different between the places in the country you live in and the country you are going to. That must be very challenging, right?
So, do you like my story? If so, please click like and you are openly welcomed to give your comments or share your traveling story in Poland or maybe you have had the similar story like mine. Please give your comments in the comment box down below J
If you are curious to my other traveling stories, you can click these links:


See you again, Poland!



BAHASA INDONESIA VERSION

Polandia. Siapa sih yang nggak tahu sama negara ini. Mungkin hampir sebagian penduduk Indonesia tahu negara satu ini karena warna benderanya hampir sama. Keduanya sama-sama punya warna merah dan putih. Bedanya kalau Indonesia merahnya diatas dan putih dibawah. Sedangkan Polandia kebalikannya, putih lalu merah.
Sebagai diaspora yang sedang tinggal di wilayah Schengen, pasti selalu ada keinginan untuk menjelajahi banyak negara yang juga anggota visa Schengen. Selama tinggal di Jerman dulu (Agustus 2017 – Agustus 2018) tentunya selalu ada keinginan buat ‘mencicipi’ negara lain. Awal-awal tinggal di Jerman, masih agak khawatir kalau mau bepergian keluar perbatasan Jerman. Takut ini lah, itulah, dan lain sebagainya. Pokoknya kebanyakan mikirnya.
Suatu hari di bulan Desember, gue dikasih libur 2 minggu dari tempat gue kerja. Awalnya bingung mau kemana. Tapi untungnya gue punya temen sesama warganegara Indonesia yang lagi tinggal di Polandia. Jadi, nggak ada salahnya buat pergi liburan ke Polandia. Selain karena ada teman disana, Polandia termasuk ke dalam daftar liburan Eropa gue. Ada satu alasan kenapa harus banget Polandia, yakni karena gue salah satu penikmat film-film Polandia. Ada satu film Polandia yang dari dulu gue favorit banget, yaitu “Ida”. Film besutan sutradara asal Polandia Pawel Pawlikoswki ini menjuarai kategori “Best Foreign Language Film” di ajang bergengsi Academy Awards (Oscar) pada tahun 2015. Sejak nonton film ini, gue jadi penasaran sama yang namanya Polandia. Saking favoritnya, kayaknya gue udah bolak-balik nonton ini lebih dari 10 kali. Jadi, semenjak itu memang jadi kayak sebuah keharusan buat gue untuk bisa sampe ke Polandia.
Akhirnya pada tanggal 26 sampai 30 Desember 2017, dengan penuh keberanian lebih tepatnya kenekadan, gue memutuskan untuk meluncur ke Polandia. Gue pun ngasih kabar ke temen gue, btw namanya Seto, kalau gue akan ke Polandia selama 5 hari. 
Untuk transportasi, gue naik bus buatan perusahaan swasta Polandia bernama “Polskibus”. Bus ini terjangkau banget, apalagi buat kantong mahasiswa. Tapi memang nggak terlalu nyaman, contohnya sabuk pengaman yang cukup bikin sesak. Tapi yaa mau bagaimana lagi, itulah yang terjadi kalau bayar murah. Tapi tenang kok, selama perjalanan semuanya aman dan terkendali. Supirnya pun nggak ugal-ugalan atau gimana-gimana. Nyaman banget bawa busnya dari berangkat sampai ke tempat tujuan.
Tanggal 26 Desember 2017, gue meluncur ke sebuah kota yang mana menjadi destinasi pertama gue di Polandia, adalah Wroclaw. Jadi, dari Berlin ke Wroclaw memakan waktu perjalanan sekitar 5 jam menggunakan Polskibus yang tadi gue sebut sebelumnya. Sesampainya di Wroclaw, gue nggak banyak jalan-jalan. Selain karena lumayan capek akibat perjalanan jauh, juga karena banyak toko yang tutup dikarekanan masih dalam suasana Natal. Akhirnya gue sama Seto cuma jalan-jalan sedikit ke pusat kotanya dan juga ke Old Town (Rynek). Tapi keesokan harinya, tanggal 27 Desember 2017, kami berkunjung ke beberapa tempat, seperti Museum of Architecture, Salt Market Square, Hala Targowa, Sky Tower, dan juga Sungai Odra.
Keesokan harinya (28 Desember 2017) juga nggak kalah seru. Pagi-pagi buta, gue sama Seto, musti bangun jam 3 subuh buat mengejar bus yang akan mengantar kami ke destinasi berikutnya, yaitu Poznan. Bus kami berangkat jam 4.45 subuh. Wadiwaw kan? Hahaha. Tapi meskipun kurang tidur, capek, dan lain sebagainya, buat gue ini bener-bener seru. Ini sih yang beneran namanya liburan, apalagi kami berdua perginya ala-ala Backpacker gitu. Kebayang kan gimana susahnya bawa carrier super besar dan berat? Akhirnya jam 4.45 kami berangkat dari Wroclaw ke Poznan. Tidur yang belum puas akhirnya kembali dilanjutkan di dalam bus. Hahaha.
Sesampainya di Poznan, kami masih dalam keadaan capek. Tapi nggak apa-apa, demi liburan seru, hajar aja. Hahaha. Tapi sayangnya selama di Poznan, hujan turun seharian dan nggak berhenti, bener-bener hampir sepanjang hari. Parahnya lagi pas malamnya, hujan salju turun. Basah, dingin, capek, wah campur aduk. Tapi semua terbayarkan ketika kami bisa ke beberapa tempat yang asik, seperti Liberty Square Fountain, Bamberka Fountain, Poznan Town Hall, Old Market Square.
Ada hal unik nan menggelikan yang terjadi pas gue ke Liberty Square Fountain. Tempat ini semacam ruang terbuka dan terdapat bangunan yang terbuat dari kaca, juga dikelilingi kolam air mancur. Disitu juga ada taman buat santai-santai atau menghabiskan waktu luang gitu sambil baca buku, pokoknya masih banyak lagi. Sebelum ke tempat ini, gue udah survei lewat Instagram. Kalau dilihat-lihat dari banyak postingan, tempat ini cukup oke, bangunan kacanya terlihat besar dan megah. Boleh lah buat jadi bahan upload ke Instagram atau sosial media lainnya. Ternyata? Tadaaaaa. Aslinya jauh lebih kecil dari yang gue lihat di postingan Instagram. OMG!!! Shock berat beneran! Hahahaha. Tapi nggak apa-apa, masih beruntung banget kami nemu tempat ini karena yaa yang tadi gue bilang, seharian itu Poznan hujan cukup banyak, dan kalau mau kemana-mana tuh agak repot. Jadi ketika nemu tempat sesuai list-to-go dan ketemu, itu rasanya puas banget.

Di Poznan kami nggak nginep atau booking hostel dan lain sebagainya, karena kami memang niatnya cuma buat seharian aja. Tapi ternyata capek banget. Capeknya bener-bener maksimal. Karena kami harus jalan kaki berpuluh-puluh kilometer buat nyari spot bagus yang nggak cuma sedap dipandang, tapi juga bagus untuk di posting ke Instagram. Hehehe. Dan kala itu, bus yang akan membawa kami ke destinasi selanjutnya berangkat pukul 1 pagi dinihari. Jadi, karena udah capek jalan-jalan seharian penuh, dan nggak tahu mau kemana lagi, kami akhirnya terpaksa nunggu di dalem stasiun (bersebelahan dengan terminal bus) dari pukul 20.00 sampai keberangkatan berikutnya, demi mencari kehangatan dari dinginnya Poznan saat itu.
Nah, destinasi kami selanjutnya adalah Gdansk. Wah, siapa yang nggak tahu sama kota ini. Menurut gue ini salah satu kota dengan turis terbanyak di Polandia, selain Warsawa sebagai ibukotanya. Gue sendiri pengen banget kesini karena teringat akan UEFA Euro Cup 2012 yang mana tuan rumahnya kala itu adalah Polandia dan Ukraina. Dan gue inget banget kalo salah satu stadion yang dipake saat itu ada di kota ini. Ditambah Gdansk juga merupakan basecamp dari timnas favorit gue, tim Jerman. Hehehe.
Di Gdansk juga gue banyak ke tempat-tempat menarik, seperti Old Town, Dlugi Targ Street, Swan Tower, Rybackie Pobrzeze, Jelitkowo, dan Stadion Energa. Jujur, di Gdansk gue lebih puas karena tempat-tempat turistiknya bener-bener turistik banget. Mungkin karena udah bisa ngebayangin sebelumnya kali yaa kalau Gdansk emang salah satu kota di Polandia yang cantik banget dan emang yang wajib dikunjungi, jadi semua rintangan yang gue temuin di Gdansk tuh nggak jadi masalah, contohnya nahan dingin plus angin pantai. Yap, karena Gdansk deket banget sama laut Baltik, jadi otomatis kena angin pantai yang semeriwing gitu. Hahaha.
Nggak cuma ke Gdansk, ada satu kota lagi yang sempet gue kunjungi, meskipun nggak masuk ke dalam daftar rencana perjalanan gue, yaitu Sopot, kota kecil yang bersebelahan persis dengan Gdansk. Kota ini juga nggak kalah cantik. Gue nemu tempat yang unik banget, contohnya “Rumah Bengkok” atau “The Crooked House” atau dalam bahasa Polandianya “Krzywy Domek”. Gue nggak tahu persis isi di dalem rumah bengkok itu apa, tapi yang bisa gue lihat dari luar sih semacam mall atau kafe gitu sih, jadi nggak terlalu spesial menurut gue. Tapi yang pasti rumah ini unik banget dan pastinya juga nggak boleh dilewatin kalau ke datang ke Sopot. Gue juga pergi ke Pier in Sopot, yang mana katanya tempat ini adalah dermaga kayu terpanjang di Eropa dengan panjang 650 meter.
Nah kalau ditanya budget atau pengeluarannya berapa untuk ke Polandia, pasti semua bergantung dari mana berangkatnya dan kemana tujuannya. Tapi berdasarkan pengalaman gue selama 5 hari liburan ke Polandia, gue hanya menghabiskan sekitar €170 saja. Terbilang murah memang, tapi harusnya bisa lebih murah lagi dari ini. Tapi untuk ukuran Eropa dan berangkatnya juga dari Jerman (Berlin), jadi memang jauh lebih murah. Untuk akomodasi gue siasati pake hostel dan Couchsurfing. Selain murah dan terjangkau, gue juga dapet temen baru baik orang lokal maupun dari luar Polandia. Seperti waktu di Wroclaw, gue menginap di salah satu hostel yang cukup terjangkau, bernama “Hostel Wigwam”, gue dapet teman baru yang berasal dari Ukraina. Kami ngobrol-ngobrol waktu bikin sarapan di dapur hostel. Kami ngobrol banyak hal, seperti dia cerita kalau dia ini seorang Mahasiswa di Polandia. Gue lupa persisnya kuliah jurusan apa, tapi dia bilang untuk sekolah di Polandia itu juga butuh visa, meskipun negara mereka tetanggaan. Lalu, dia juga tanya-tanya soal Indonesia, bahasa apa yang kami gunakan sehari-hari, apa yang kami makan sehari-hari, dan lain sebagainya.
Nggak kalah seru sama mas-mas yang gue temuin di hostel, gue juga nemu temen baru waktu pake Couchsurfing di Gdansk. Buat yang belum tahu apa itu Couchsurfing, adalah sebuah platform atau aplikasi dimana kalian bisa menginap tanpa bayar 1 koin pun di rumah seseorang. Gue sih kala itu baru pertama kali nyoba. Yaa lumayan lah. Tapi memang kadang suka nggak enak sendiri. Maklum lah orang Indonesia. Hahaha. Maka dari itu ketika gue nginep disana, gue kasih sesuatu ke yang punya rumah. Nggak harus yang mahal sih, yang penting bermanfaat. Kalau menurut pengalaman Seto sebelumnya, dia sering masakin sesuatu buat si tuan rumah, kalau bisa yang ada hubungannya sama negara asal kita. Kalau kita dari Indonesia, yang paling sederhana dan gampang yaa masak Nasi Goreng atau Mie Goreng. Hehehe.
Masih soal Couchsurfing tadi, tuan rumah yang nerima gue dan Seto sebagai tamu, orangnya sangat ramah dan baik banget. Dia juga cerita banyak soal Polandia, termasuk soal sejarah Perang Dunia II yang mana semua orang tahu bahwa Polandia merupakan lokasi dimana pembakaran warga Yahudi terjadi pada jaman itu. Dulu waktu SMA, gue sama sekali nggak tertarik buat belajar lebih lanjut soal sejarah Perang Dunia II, atau hanya sekadar nonton filmnya, karena makan waktu dan ngebosenin buat gue. Tapi semenjak diceritain langsung sama orang Polandianya, yang mana pasti nenek moyang mereka ngalamin sendiri, gue akhirnya jadi tertarik dan jadi penasaran buat pelajari lebih lanjut bagaimana Perang Dunia II itu sendiri.

Oke, kesampingkan dulu soal Perang Dunia II-nya, lalu bagaimana soal kuliner? Selama di Polandia, gue nggak banyak coba makanan khas Polandia. Tapi gue nyicipin satu jenis makanan khas Polandia yang enak banget dan bikin nagih! Namanya Pierogi. Pierogi ini semacam dumpling atau kalau di Indonesia kayak siomay atau dimsum gitu lah. Isiannya beragam, ada yang daging (sapi, bebek, ayam, babi), sayur-sayuran, bahkan buah-buahan. Tapi gue paling favorit yang isinya daging bebek yang di mix sama buah apel kalau nggak salah. Asli, itu enak banget! Gue bahkan nambah 2 kali waktu nyoba ini hehehe. 
Untuk menu makanan lain yang gue makan selama di Polandia, nggak ada yang istimewa karena pada dasarnya gue memang cari yang murah meriah, maka gue lebih sering makan makanan cepat saji atau restoran yang menyediakan menu buffet yang mana jauh lebih murah dibanding a la carte. Ngomong-ngomong soal buffet, gue menemukan sedikit perbedaan antara makan buffet di Jerman sama di Polandia. Kalau di Jerman, harga makanan buffet tergantung besar kecilnya piring yang kita ambil. Kalau ambil yang kecil, maka harganya akan lebih murah, kalau piringnya lebih besar maka akan lebih mahal. Tapi ada juga buffet yang menghitungnya sesuai dengan lauk-pauk yang kita ambil alias tergantung dari jenis makanan yang kita ambil dari buffet. Rata-rata makan buffet di Jerman adalah €5-8. Sedangkan di Polandia, uniknya adalah sebanyak apapun makanan yang kita ambil, atau berapa pun macam lauk yang kita ambil, semua akan dihitung berdasarkan berat isi makanan dalam bentuk gram. Gue lupa berapa ratus gram yang gue makan di menu buffet ini, tapi untuk harga rata-rata sekitar 15-30zloty atau sekitar €3-7. Sedikit lebih murah dibanding di Jerman, tapi kembali lagi itu bergantung menu makanan apa yang kita makan. Ditambah lagi itu belum termasuk dengan minum.
Untuk oleh-oleh, di Polandia ada banyak toko-toko yang menjual cenderamata atau pernak-pernik khas Polandia. Terlebih dengan harga yang sangat terjangkau. Kalau buat gue sendiri, barang wajib dibeli kalau liburan adalah kartu pos. Selain murah, kartu pos juga mudah dibawa alias ringan, dan bisa beli banyak untuk dibagikan ke teman-teman atau keluarga. Untuk harga kartu pos, rata-rata 1-3zlotty, kalau dikonversikan ke Euro (€) bisa 0,50 atau hanya dalam hitungan sen saja. Murah, kan? Untuk pilihan barang yang lain, ada magnet kulkas, mug, pajangan dinding, pajangan meja, dan masih banyak lagi. Tapi kembali lagi ke kita, mau pilih yang mana. Kalau gue tetap yang terpenting adalah ringan dan harga terjangkau.
Sebenarnya ada satu kisah menarik ketika di Gdansk yang nggak akan pernah gue lupakan.  Dimana saat gue berusaha sebisa mungkin mencari lokasi Stadion Energa, stadion yang pernah jadi tempat pertandingan UEFA Euro Cup 2012. Memang sih agak nggak penting untuk mengejar ini, tapi namanya penasaran dan mumpung di Gdansk, akhirnya dengan semangat tapi udah kecapekan, gue dan Seto tetap cari stadion itu. Kala itu hari terakhir di Gdanks (30 Desember 2017). Waktu juga sudah gelap, dan tersisa 5 jam sebelum harus kembali ke Berlin. Dingin, angin, capek. Tapi ternyata ketika sudah sampai di stadion, yang sebelumnya gue berharap bakalan “WAH”, ternyata “ZONK”. Stadionnya memang megah, tapi dalam ekspektasi gue kalau malam hari bakalan ada lampu-lampu yang menghiasi bangunan stadion dengan cantiknya, tapi ternyata nggak sama sekali! Gelap semua, kecuali lampu jalanan. Hmmm, kecewa berat! Realita memang sering nggak sesuai dengan ekspektasi, yaa. Tapi yaudah lah, mungkin lain waktu kalau ke Gdansk lagi dan ke stadion itu, harus pas siang hari, biar lebih keliatan dengan jelas bangunannya, meskipun hanya dari kejauhan.
Ya, begitulah cerita gue selama di Polandia. Jujur, gue cukup puas liburan ke negara ini. Bukan hanya soal murahnya, tapi juga ada ilmu-ilmu yang dibawa dari Polandia ketika balik ke Jerman. Ilmu yang gue maksud adalah soal sejarah Perang Dunia II yang sebelumnya gue ceritain. Gue bener-bener nggak tahu sebelumnya gimana tragisnya Polandia saat itu, atau gimana kronologisnya. Dan ketika kembali ke Jerman, gue jadi tertarik buat tahu lebih banyak soal sejarah itu, terlebih Polandia menjadi saksi sejarah Perang Dunia II yang nggak bakal dilupakan oleh masyarakatnya.
Tentunya gue juga jadi lebih semangat buat melakukan perjalanan yang lain yang lebih menantang lagi, terlebih ke luar Jerman. Karena menurut gue, akan sangat berbeda atmosfernya jika jalan-jalan hanya di dalam Jerman dengan ke luar Jerman. Dengan bahasa yang berbeda, budaya yang berbeda, makanan yang juga berbeda, pasti akan jadi tantangan tersendiri.
Ngomong-ngomong soal jalan-jalan di Eropa, setelah Polandia, gue telah melakukan beberapa perjalanan ke beberapa negara berbeda. Seperti ke Republik Ceko, Austria, Prancis, dan Italia. Mau tahu keseruan gue mengunjungi negara-negara tersebut?
Silahkan klik ini untuk tahu cerita gue ke tiga kota berinisial P. Apa aja sih? Yuk langsung klik disini!
Atau klik disini untuk cerita perjalanan gue ke 3 kota di Jerman dan 1 kota di Austria.
Juga cerita seru gue ke Milan, Italia yang bisa kalian akses dengan mengklik link ini.
Atau juga perjalanan gue ke dua kota yang berbeda di Jerman. Klik disini dan disini!
Perjalanan keliling Eropa emang nggak bakalan bisa dilupain sampai kapanpun. Nggak cuma bagus buat Instagram, tapi ada banyak cerita dan tantangan yang membekas dan bakalan diingat sampai kapanpun. Semoga suatu hari nanti gue bisa balik lagi ke Eropa dan melakukan perjalanan lainnya ke negara-negara yang belum gue kunjungin dan yang pasti juga nggak kalah menarik!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kumpulan Cerita Bersambung : DOUBLE YU - SEASON 1 (karya Yulia Sutjahjono)

"Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan)" Part 2

Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan) Part 1