"Rostock : The Beautiful Harbor City" (My First Trip in Germany)



That was my first time to have a trip in Germany, and also first trip with my host family, The Rickensdorfs. Rostock is the hometown for my host mother, Petra. She grown up there with her sister, Sabine, and also her family. FYI, Rostock is the largest city in the north German state Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Rostock is on the Warnow river; the district of Warnemünde 12 kilometres (7 miles) north of the city centre is directly on the Baltic Seacoast. Rostock is home to one of the oldest universities in the world, the University of Rostock, founded in 1419. The city territory of Rostock stretches for about 20 km (12 mi) along the Warnow to the Baltic Sea. The largest built-up area of Rostock is on the western side of the river. The eastern part of its territory is dominated by industrial estates and the forested Rostock Heath. Rostock is considered as the only regiopolis in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostock)


27.10.2017
The trip began on October 27th. With cloudy weather also drizzle along the day plus wind, me and Petra left house around at 10:30 AM. But first, we needed to pick up her sister, Sabine, also Sabine’s daughter, Alma. After all Sabine’s preparation, we all left Berlin at 12:30 PM. Along the way to Rostock, it was sometimes rainy, and sometimes also sunny, but still, the wind blew so hard! Along the way, I found something interesting as well. Nothing really that sophisticated, just simple view that I never found in Indonesia. Forest, road, hill, field, are just the same thing that I could found in Indonesia, but this is Europe, this is Germany, the sense of seeing is just different! I was trying to not fall asleep in order to feel the sense itself, but I fell asleep for 15 minutes I guess, and just woke up by Alma’s sound. So, she awoke from her sleep as well, and we just talking each other by the body language and my simple-German-skill (hahaha). But then Alma cried and she needed Petra or her Mommy. Well, we just pulled over in a rest area. While we were there, I found something that also interesting. The rest area in Germany (or maybe in the entire Europe) quite similar but different. There no park place (the car can only park in the border of the street), no restaurants, those are the difference. But I found also rest area which has restaurant, gas station, toilet, etc. Because in Indonesia, all rest area has restaurants, toilets, gas station, even park for people who want to do a picnic with their family. Yeah, there is always something similar and different. But I found everything is awesome here!

After almost 3 hours driving, we arrived in Rostock. Petra’s parent, Monika and Karlheinz, welcomed us so warmly and friendly. Kalle, the son of Sabine was in there as well. He got there several days before because he had holiday from school longer at that time, so Kalle was already with his Grandparents earlier.

They are so nice and kind. They served all kind of beautiful and delicate foods. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, all is good!

Monika's Balcony and Backyard

Breakfast with The Rickensdorfs


28.10.2017
The next day, me, Petra, Sabine, Kalle, and Alma, went to the city center. First, we went to Steintor of Rostock. Every state or city has Steintor (Stone Gate), but what I found there was just beautiful, classic, idyllic! I was thinking about "Beauty and The Beast" the movie while seeing that place, really nice!

 

 

Steintor von Rostock (Stone Gate of Rostock)


Afterwards, we passed by a cake shop. I think it is quite popular cause there was so many tourists who took a look and buy the cakes. The most popular menu is the cupcake. Oh I love cupcakes!

1 cupcake for all


After that, we went to Neuer Markt. Well, honestly my heart felt so bumping when I heard the name of the market just like one of my favorite Football player, Manuel Neuer (hihihihi). Well, in Neuer Markt, Kalle had a chance to try trampoline. He looked so happy and enjoyed the ride. While he got the giant trampoline, Petra and Sabine were just waiting and looked after Alma. Me, I was in a long line for Churros. Yeah, I bought a big cup of Churros with Chocolate. To be honest, it was my very first time eating Churros! Hahaha. Yeah, I never had Churros in Indonesia before while there are so many places to find Churros though, but maybe I was too lazy to find or to buy it hahahaa. Anyway, I enjoyed the Churros, it was not really special, just simply Churros with Chocolate, however the sense of eating the Churros was just perfect! With a bunch a people who had holiday, people seemed so happy and feeling wonderful. So it could make everything simple be so special.

My very first Churros

Me and Kalle
Next, we walked to Universitätplatz. Ah, in this place, I felt like in the Prague, Czech Republic. So classic, vintage, and unique, even Prague is Prague and Rostock is Rostock for sure. I was taken a lot of pictures by Petra while was there. These pictures are taken in Universitätplatz which is in front of Rostock University. So, here are some of them :








Actually, in that day, it was also coincide by the day of Youth Pledge Day in Indonesia or in Bahasa is "Sumpah Pemuda". Youth Pledge Day is always being celebrated in Indonesia every year on October 28. So, I also bring Indonesian flag with me when I am traveling, so why not did I take a picture with my country's flag and give a dedication to that special day.


Next, we moved to Stadhafen, or Harbor of Rostock. Oh My God, it was really beautiful! Actually, I am not a person who love beach, sea, or something in between, however, somehow I loved it! With the ships which are at anchor, I saw just interesting. Also, I felt that I was in somewhere around Christoper Colombus’ era, sailing over ocean and anchor in somewhere. I was just nothing but having fun!








29.10.2017
Goes to see Baltic Sea
In the next day, me and all host family members went to Ostsee Warnemünde (Baltic Sea). I was really happy because for the first time I saw Baltic sea, which is I just read it in the geography book when I was High School. I was feeling so wonderful unless the wind. Hahaha. Who did expect to feel the wind in the autumn and in the strand??? I don't think anyone would. However, it was really cool. Even the wind blew soooo much hard, but the view, the vibes, was so gorgeous!
Me and The Rickensdorfs

Me and my host mother, Petra

We also had a lunch there. We bought it from a Food Boat. Yap, so unique, isn’t it? We usually found Food Truck, but in the beach, of course Food Boat. I got Fish and Chips, and the others got Bismark Fish with Bread, and also another kind of fish.

Food Boat


I also found houses which has a sense of sailor. When I passed those houses, me and my host mother just sang together the song "Drunken Sailor". I knew that song when I searched for "Celtic song" in Youtube. Yeah, I am so passionate in Celtic and Irish cultures. It's so engaging for me. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw)








30.10.2017
In this day, we also went to the beach but different spot. We went to Ostseebad Nienhagen (Strand) and Gespensterwald (National Forest) which is in the beside. The wind blew so hard as well! Even stronger. But I loved it! Actually I don’t really like go to the beach, but cause they have forest nearby the beach, I was so interested and into it.

Me and The Rickensdorfs

Me and my host Grandparents


31.10.2017
I shoud’ve been at work at this day, moreover it was Halloween Party. But since my host family asked me to come with to the vacation, I’d never said no. Hahahaha. So in the last day of vacation in Rostock, we just did nothing. We just stayed at home and playing a games, like Uno, and also I was looking after Alma and play together with her. So, we were so relaxed. And then at 5 PM, we went back to the city, yeahhh Berlin. 



I wish I could go to Rostock again someday. It’s a small city but wonderful. I loved it! But don’t wanna go there in autumn or winter again. Cause the wind must stronger and stronger if I go to the Baltic Sea again.
Bis bald, Rostock! See you soon, Rostock!



Those are extra pictures that I took during vacation of Rostock. Enjoy!





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kumpulan Cerita Bersambung : DOUBLE YU - SEASON 1 (karya Yulia Sutjahjono)

"Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan)" Part 2

Langkah-Langkah Menjadi Volunteer (Relawan) Part 1